Local History Resources
Featuring select articles, handouts, templates, recordings, and more resources on these topics:
- Collections Care & Management
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Emergency Management
You can also visit the VHS Youtube Channel for our ever-expanding playlist featuring programs for local historical societies & museums.
LLHSM Lending Library
The Vermont Historical Society maintains a collection of publications and resources to assist local historical societies & museums. The list below represents the most current and/or relevant publications. Additional books are available, please contact Eileen Corcoran, email@example.com to request publications or if you are looking for additional titles or topics.
- Books will be leant to VHS member organizations. Non-member organizations may make an appointment to read the books at the History Center in Barre.
- An organization can borrow up to 3 books at a time for a total of 8 weeks.
- Books may be picked up and dropped off at the History Center in Barre, or they can be shipped (via media mail) to the organization. Up to 5 lbs of books can be shipped to an organization for free at a time. Organizations are responsible for any fees for return shipping.
- Organizations are responsible for returning books in the same condition they arrived. Loss or damage of a book may be charged to the organization.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request titles. Supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency, through the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Vermont Department of Libraries
Links to Other Vermont Organizations
- The Preservation Trust of Vermont
- Vermont Department of Libraries
- Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, including Historic Preservation Grants
- Vermont League of Cities & Towns
- Vermont Old Cemetery Association
- Vermont State Archives and Records Administration, including the Vermont Historical Records Program
- Vermont Arts Council, including the Cultural Facilities Grant Program
- Vermont Humanities, including their Speakers Bureau & Humanities Grants
Other Resource Websites
- Institute of Museum & Library Services (grants)
- National Endowment for the Humanities (grants)
- American Association for State & Local History (annual conference, training, resources)
- Connecting to Collections Care (resources, training, forums)
- American Alliance of Museums (Museum Assessment Program)